Freethought Books Project
Donating secular and freethinking literature to inmates, mental hospitals, and others in need since 2005.
Recent News of the Freethought Books Project
- For our October 2011 mailing, we sent out 49 total books to ten prisoners. A few of the highlights include: Keepers: Voices of Secular Recovery, Essays in the Philosophy of Humanism, and Secular Wholeness: A Skeptic's Path to a Richer Life. Thanks to everyone who donated money or books; we really appreciate that.
- The August 2011 shipment of books to prisoners has gone out and included 12 boxes of books sent with a total of 56 books. Thanks to all who donated to the Freethought Books Project which enabled this mailing.
- The Freethought Books Project is highlighted in a couple of recent blogs. See Choice in Dying and Canadian Atheist.
- Thanks to daylightatheism.org for promoting the Freethought Books Project and our pen pal effort.
- See the latest Freethought books donation update as of February 2011.
- Read one person's prisoner pen pal experience.
- See the latest Freethought books donation update as of March 2010.
- Freethought Books Project highlighted in a Freethought Today online article.
- Book donation update as of November 2009: Collected 2,900 books for prisoners, mental institutions, and others in need. Filled requests from about 50 inmates. Sent 1,600 books to prison-donating organizations and sent 500 books to individual prisoners.
- Read the Nontheist Nexus eZine Interview with Leslie.
- The Friendly Atheist discusses the Freethought Books Project on his blog.
- Dogma Free America podcast on the Freethought Books Project.
- Institute for Humanist Studies article highlighting Leslie's involvement with the Freethought Books Project.
- This Secular Student Alliance article explains Leslie's involvement in the Freethought Books Project. The history of the project including details of how the project works.
Examples of books to be donated